I’ve been talking to some of you about various games that take some of the competition out of game nights and tend to be more interactive than competitive. Here are some games that are real hits!
- Apples to Apples
- Bubble Talk
- Catch Phrase
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid game
- Cosmic Catch (hard to find at reasonable price)
Some ideas that help with winning and losing:
- Take turns – picking game, picking who starts, picking teams, picking the food you’ll eat while playing, etc. – you name it – take turns!
- House Rules – follow game box rules to decrease arguing about rules. Variations are great – but unless everyone agrees – stick to the rules!
- Have a loser compensation package! Come up with a silly ritual for the person who comes in last place – a loser handshake, silly high 5, even a “loser” treat – it’s hard to lose, so we can take the sting out of it. But do be pro-active about having a plan because there will be a loser in the game! And it is important to learn how to lose gracefully on the outside!